Sunday, October 18, 2009

Perfect Boolits! The Joy of getting it Right!

After speaking with a few members of Cast Boolits, I got a few ideas on how to fix the voids I was getting in my boolits from my new to me SWC mold.

Photobucket

The first idea was to pour with my spout in contact with the sprue plate. I tried this and the voids were still there.

The next thing I tried was to use a larger puddle on my sprue plate. Somewhat better, but still no cigar.

At this point I was a little perplexed, so I tried both of those at the same time. The problem was I couldn't get a large puddle with the spout in contact.

So, I started thinking about it, and remembered that someone had mentioned the possibility that the sprue could be cooling before the boolit, and so I stopped cooling the sprue plate on the wet towel as I do with my 2 cavity mold.

Viola! Perfect boolits afterward. I found that the mold likes to run hot, and cast slow.

Photobucket

Very pleased with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment